Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Destinations and Fishing Reports -> Tuffy Boats -> Overpowering ?

Message Subject: Overpowering ?
Tuffy 150 Resort
Posted 7/19/2010 3:52 PM (#92946)
Subject: Overpowering ?

I have a 1987 tuffy 150 resort it's 15' from bow to transom, and has a beam of about 4' 11". When I bought the boat it came with an old and tired 40 hp evinrude, i could barely get it to clock in past 20 mph. Anyways the engine ended up blowing up on me and was a total loss due to the fire. The boat doesn't have an engine on the transom as of now. I came across a 1970s johnson stinger 75 hp, from what i can see it looks to be tremendously lighter then the 40 hp tiller that came with the boat. what kind of speeds could i expect from such a hp increase? I mainly fish on a long lake in northwestern minnesota and the wind can really kick up out there, i've been caught in storms a number of times and i'm looking for more speed to get into shore if need be.
oh and the boats net weight dry is around 350 lbs without flooring, gas tank, and gear.
any information would be helpful! thanks in advance
- Matt
Top of the page Bottom of the page
muskiemike
Posted 7/20/2010 1:13 AM (#92957 - in reply to #92946)
Subject: RE: Overpowering ?

Max HP for that boat is 45. You won't be able to insure it with a 75 on it. No expert here, but I would gues that is WAY too much motor for that boat.

http://www.iboats.com/Tuffy_Boats_by_Fiberdome__150_Resort__1987/bp...
sworrall
Posted 7/20/2010 1:28 PM (#92967 - in reply to #92946)
Subject: Re: Overpowering ?

Too much motor for that boat for sure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)