Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Ice fishing the mud/scum line?

Message Subject: Ice fishing the mud/scum line?
walleye express
Posted 3/12/2005 1:03 PM (#29511)
Subject: Ice fishing the mud/scum line?

For all of you who know me, you know that it's my habit to analyze to death virtually anything having to do with fishing. Doing this can often be placed into two categories. 1. A tremendous waist of time and often money. And or 2, a breakthrough idea or technique that puts more fish into my possession. With that said, I'll tell you what new revelation I had today, and the reasons for it.

I just got back from my buddies house. He called me this morning to see how I did last night on the Bay. I told him 3 for 5 with nothing big in the bag. He says "I seen where you were last night when I went out". "Come on over and look at what I caught last night, not fishing 1/2 mile away from you". So I head on over to his place. He's got 5 walleyes laid out on his work bench ready for their sacrifice to the fillet God's. One 11 pounder, one 9, one 7 and two 5's he keeps mislabeling as dinks, as he explains where and what he was using last night. My first thoughts and impression of course, is why did he kill these beautiful females. But that specific thread deserves it's own title and reference.

As I'm sucking in all the fishing variables from his lucky night, and searching for a pen to write down the GPS numbers he's offering, I still haven't heard anything that really helps me put together this puzzle of why he caught these monsters and why I did not, being in relatively close proximity. My mind works in a different way than most, when confronted with and figuring out rather he was just lucky or has a system that will continue to help me in the future, rather than just being another set of GPS numbers. So, while were going through the litany of question I usually use in my interrogation of the lucky walleye lottery winner, I stumbled onto what was probably the reason for his walleye wind fall.

Under my (Clarity of the water questions) on page two of my interrogation manual, he answers "Now that's the funny part he says" "it would be cloudy for a while then it would clear up". I concluded he had luckily set up on the edge of the Saginaw Rivers mud line flow from recent run-offs, and reaped the obvious/well known benefits of this lucky location. And of course, having the GPS numbers would mean absolutely nothing, given any other wind/weather circumstances, because this mud line would fluctuate under them almost hourly or at least certainly daily. And not having X-ray vision to see through the ice, a man would have to cut a million holes to duplicate what he found quit by accident. And so, yet another walleye puzzle gets solved, but is of little help. Oh Well.....

Edited by walleye express 3/12/2005 1:46 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hafe
Posted 3/12/2005 1:55 PM (#29516 - in reply to #29511)
Subject: RE: Ice fishing the mud/scum line?

Dan knowledge learned is never wasted,however at my age,it is sometimes forgotten for the moment.Mud lines make a world of difference on Bago also.Most of the fish caught by me this winter were on the edge of clear,and dirty water.You do have to drill a few holes,you're right about that.It's nice to have a buddy sitting on the tailgate of the truck,drilling them as you make a line across the area.You can also backtrack and jig them holes later.
Spring run-off is the same way in the river,or on the lake,I look for the color change of the water.One interesting thing is that when the fish are returning to the lake,they are usually high in the dirty water,sometimes only a few feet down and low in the clean water.I can only surmise that they are resting in the clean water out of the current.
The summer bite on Bago is also related to water color.However the difference is algea and not so much a mud line.However that does figure in on some days out there also.Most fish are on the edge,of the algea,and not in it.I always look for cleaner spots in the green carpet and fish in it.Besides that it keeps my boat and lines cleaner.LOL. There is one technic that I do,that to my knowledge nobody else does,or I've never seen anyway and that is to jig or slip bobber the clean pockets in the algea.This has been very effective.
The opposite is also true,if I spot a patch of algea floating in clean water,there will be more often than not,bait fish under it and eyes under the baitfish.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)