Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Wolf River Walleye Guide-Who is the best?

Message Subject: Wolf River Walleye Guide-Who is the best?
Mr. Darboy
Posted 3/6/2006 8:52 AM (#40366)
Subject: Wolf River Walleye Guide-Who is the best?

Looking for info or advice on who to hire to fish the Wolf this spring. I'm hoping to hire a guide for later this month and would like to know if there are any that are better than others or any to stay away from?

Has anyone fished with Tim Long out of Winneconne? Doesn't matter if it's the Fremont area or the New London area, just looking for someone to teach me some more techniques on finding and catching fish on the Wolf.

Thanks for any helpful info you can provide.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 3/6/2006 9:21 AM (#40367 - in reply to #40366)
Subject: RE: Wolf River Walleye Guide-Who is the best?

Our own Doc Kunz knows the river pretty good, I think. You do, don't you Doc?

Tim Long is a very good stick, and a good guy. Larry Smith guides the Wolf. Man, I know I'm forgetting some here, but just off the top of my head, those are some of the guys I can think of.

Edited by Shep 3/6/2006 9:21 AM
stacker
Posted 3/6/2006 9:35 AM (#40369 - in reply to #40366)

If I was looking at a guided trip on the Wolf, I would specifically pick a technique that you want to learn. Every guide will put you on fish. There will be a few guides set up to talk this coming weekend at the 1st annual walleye ice breaker at the bean city ballroom saturday the 11th of march from 11am to 5pm. come on out and talk with them as well as other knowledgable people about the Wolf. It will give you a chance to better understand the river and what it is you are looking to accomplish. If you want to learn anchoring and get a drifter guide, that will do you no good. Be specfic when asking questions, make sure the guide knows how to fish the techniques you want to learn and not just take your money.
irishwebs
Posted 3/6/2006 9:52 AM (#40371 - in reply to #40369)

Denny

You said a mouth full there for each of the sticks mention are good men. But Mr. Darboy look at the how and what is in works for your desires of knowledge. Denny metion this upcomming event you find it may be benifitail to go over and walk through and pick brains for check book doesnt always give you knowledge of fishing the wolf this river changes with wind as I seen myself over the last 38 years fishing ever chance I get.

Michael

Edited by irishwebs 3/6/2006 9:53 AM
Mr. Darboy
Posted 3/6/2006 10:32 AM (#40374 - in reply to #40366)

Thanks for the input guys. I am hoping to get out to the event this weekend, which I know would be beneficial. I know Doc is one of the best, if not THE best guide for the river, but I can't remember if he is coast guard certified to guide still? Anyone?

Mostly I want to learn some more jigging techniques, mostly how to do it while slipping the current. It would also be helpful to learn how to anchor and pitch jigs into certain pools of fish.
stacker
Posted 3/6/2006 11:02 AM (#40379 - in reply to #40366)

If you get out to the show saturday come find me at the Fort Fremont Marine booth. There are time parameters in which certain techniques will work better than others on the Wolf. You do have to make sure you ask the guide for the correct timing on certain techniques, or you will again be wasting your time and not getting the fullest bang for your buck.
Jonny Rocket
Posted 3/6/2006 11:45 AM (#40386 - in reply to #40366)

Mr. Darboy, did you ask the Head Bobber? I have a good handle on the river in the spring if you want to go with me. Get a ahold of Bill to get my number and lets go. I won't even charge you since you are Buck's brother and friend of the Bobbers.
Joel "Doc" Kunz
Posted 3/6/2006 3:24 PM (#40399 - in reply to #40366)

Aaron, you don't need a guide, you just need to come with me mid week. Don't need any money either. I haven't taken a guide job in a couple of years for a few reasons including working harder to sell the packaging lines I represent (25 years experience), writing full time, (published 52 weeks a year) and an arthritic hip that kept me from wanting to do 20 trips a month and the on set of the Captains license requirement which I am still fighting for some designated areas of the Wolf River. After the help you gave me last year for the article during Sturgeon spearing, you KNOW you are welcome in my boat ANY TIME. All you have to do is call. As far as the other comments, Thanks!!

Edited by Joel "Doc" Kunz 3/6/2006 6:07 PM
T-todd
Posted 3/6/2006 6:01 PM (#40410 - in reply to #40366)

I"ve been fishing the Winnebago system for the last 25 years and am USCG certified! You can reach me at 920-851-4638,Make sure the Guide you choose is USCG certified as the winnebago system is going to be watched more this year than in the previous years! I will be at the ICEBREAKER this Saturday if you want to look me up! Good Luck!!!!! Todd Mueller
Mr. Darboy
Posted 3/6/2006 7:20 PM (#40415 - in reply to #40366)

Thanks again everyone for your responses. Doc, of course I'd like to share a boat with you this spring, I wasn't sure if the offer from last year still stood. I will give you a ring once the ice clears out, or let me know when you have the Triton out and I will free up some time. Thanks again for the offer, you're still a class act!
Joel "Doc" Kunz
Posted 3/6/2006 9:11 PM (#40420 - in reply to #40366)

Thanks Aaron. Appreciate it although there are plenty would consider me as clact ...
I've got some dues to pay yet, God willing and the creek don't rise again, they'll all get done.
Looking forward to it young man, feel free to contact me any time. Any family that can pull a fish like that out with just minutes to go, well, I need to rub a little of that on my boat.
Sunshine
Posted 3/7/2006 3:59 AM (#40425 - in reply to #40366)

Joel is (was) the best guide? I would think that we should be able to come up with a mathematical formula that would allow us the ability to judge who is the best guide.

We need to take in consideration the short term and long term weather patterns and other factors including percentage of local anglers fishing around you, number of years guiding on a particular water, time of year and other things from one guide to another. We’ll need to know if they fish for 6 hours or 8 hours, do they clean your fish, take a lunch break, have a clean boat, supply the live bait, are good story tellers and supply all equipment. Do they allow you to bring a gps, teach new techniques, agree not to fish, and allow alcohol?

I would think that all of these variables could be entered into a spread sheet and calculated.

Doc, I understand that you are some what of a math wiz and still have a knack for numbers. Why don’t you come up with a formula using all the above variables and report back on how the answer is affected by the value of X and Y and Z. And, by all means, DO NOT KEEP that formula secret! We all need to validate its accuracy.

Luv ya’ Doc! Knew you’d get a kick out of my rambling and enjoy the chuckle.
walleye express
Posted 3/7/2006 6:13 AM (#40434 - in reply to #40366)

Not to get off subject, but did you guys hear that all new charter captains after passing the test and older ones (like myself) at renewal time, are now required to be fingerprinted and provide positive I.D. at your States regional Coast Guard Center. Ours is in Toledo Ohio and about a 200 mile one way trip for me. I know there should be some percautions taken after 9-11, but couldn't this be done easily and safely enough at your local State Police or Sheriffs office?
Jonny Rocket
Posted 3/7/2006 6:35 AM (#40435 - in reply to #40366)

Yes, I did just hear that this weekend at the Fishing Show in Green Bay. The guy that teaches the classes and administers the test was there and did say that anyone now taking the test will have to go to Toledo to get finger printed.

I was going to get the Limited OUPV but under the circumstances I will forget that all together.

Aaron, your a friend of Bill and Matt and I am glad we finally meet on Friday, so you are welcome to jump in with me anytime I go. I have your email and I will stay in touch. Maybe you would be interested in helping me prefish sometime as well.
hgmeyer_unlogged
Posted 3/7/2006 7:44 AM (#40436 - in reply to #40435)

John...

Way off the topic... But, what tournaments are you fishing this year?

Greg Meyer
hgmeyer_unlogged
Posted 3/7/2006 7:46 AM (#40437 - in reply to #40366)

Would that "Regional Office" for each state be listed somewhere? The USCG has a big office in St. Louis...
hgmeyer_unlogged
Posted 3/7/2006 7:59 AM (#40440 - in reply to #40366)

Dennis,

You left out several critical factors.... (1) Boat Brand, (2) Personal Hygiene (a limiting factor for some of you...LOL), (3) Ethnicity (again a limiting factor in some cases), (4) IQ Score ( a big limiting factor), (5) Tow vehicle preference, (6) Favorite brand of beer, (7) Choice of superbraid or mono, and (the big one) how they vote on riveted or welded?....

Once all of these factors are added and your "Sign" is factored in... I think we will have a much better and more objective picture
Posted 3/7/2006 8:14 AM (#40442 - in reply to #40366)

Don't forget, Does he prefer Gloomis or St Croix, Chevy or Ford, What happens to the formula if he favors Toyota?
Joel "Doc" Kunz
Posted 3/7/2006 9:42 AM (#40448 - in reply to #40366)

LMAO big time Dennis and others. The formula would also have to involve a factor that equals the playing field on whether the guide ever double books, his opinion on sheephead, night fishing and most of all if he/ or she, has ever swam naked in the Wolf River. Also, does the guide use store brand jigs, name brand jigs, custom painted jigs, custom painted jigs with his own designed patterns or hair jigs. A test would have to be determined to study the amount of time spent "vertical" while slipping the river during many conditions and also the guides reaction to those who throw a wake in a no wake zone. A transponder with real time feedback as to blood pressure etc would be quite valuable in that situation.

Personally I think this might work.

GV (guide value) = rate /divided by time / plus X for night fishing /plus or minus hygiene points based on a scale of 1 to 100 vs a cow at close range / plus jig preferance / plus horsepower of boat squared / divided again by the number of G Loomis rods in the boat / times 3 if clients are allowed to have a beer / divided by a boat brand factor based on the number of tournament wins by that boat brand the previous year on the PWT / times Y divided again by Z, over Pi Once that figure is set it's divided again by the average BP of the guide PLUS how many sets of rain gear he has in the boat and the number of good jokes he knows.

X , Y and Z should represent some of the limiting factors such as years of experience, tooth decay and fish cleaning ability but their actual value in the formula needs to be kept secret for National Security reasons.

Oh by the way. All the people who passed their OUPV tests DO have to go to Toledo for fingerprinting.
Jonny Rocket
Posted 3/7/2006 9:52 AM (#40449 - in reply to #40366)

Joel, the cow at close range kills me.... I can't stop laughing.....

Greg, I dragged my feet so long this winter making up my mind and combine that with my sons youth hockey I missed the boat on a few events I wanted to do. I also could not find a partner to commit to the entire MWC this year. I will be fishing the entire MWS, the Merc Nationals and I will get in 2 maybe 3 of the Wisconsin league events.

I can't wait for the open water!
Mr. Darboy
Posted 3/7/2006 8:17 PM (#40497 - in reply to #40366)

After reading all these posts I think we all have a little cabin fever setting in!! I too am excited to get the boat out and hit the river. Just got the raft ready as well and hopefully we can get it in before April 3 this year. We missed some of the best fishing of the year last year, but still ended up landing around 100 fish on the year.

Doc and Rocket, thanks for the offer from both of you, I will be in touch as the ice and snow melt and the first 6# piggies show up in the river. Rocket- I wish I would have known you wanted a partner for the MWC, I would have been all over that and then some. Like B.B. said last Friday, if you run into a jam this summer, let me know and I'll be there in 10 minutes! I might take you up on that prefishing offer as well, hope to see you and the Bobbers on alot of leaderboards this summer!
hgmeyer_unlogged
Posted 3/7/2006 10:26 PM (#40504 - in reply to #40366)

John...

If we get in... I'll be at the Merc Nationals... I'm doing the GB Tour Event and all four of the League Events... And, maybe one or two of the MWS events with my son...

If you need a partner for the MWC in 2007 I'd be up for that as well... The advantage of being self employed... I can give me time off when "me" needs it...LOL
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)