Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> prespawn trolling?

Message Subject: prespawn trolling?
playinhooky
Posted 3/18/2006 12:54 PM (#41116)
Subject: prespawn trolling?

I was wondering if anyone trolls for prespawn eyes while other people are casting and jigging yet? I am specifically thinking of the Fox River at Depere, but just in general, if you do, what baits and speeds are you running? Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jim R.
Posted 3/18/2006 11:28 PM (#41150 - in reply to #41116)
Subject: RE: prespawn trolling?

yes, i do and ive seen numerous other people doing it as well, generally i use husky jerks, but have also caught fish on shad raps, reef runners, and thundersticks. ive trolled everywhere from .8mph up to almost 2 mph and caught fish, have to play around with speed and baits to see what the "active" fish are looking for. generally, you wont catch the #'s of fish like those jigging up by the dam, but the average size of fish tends to be on the bigger side, atleast from my experiences anyways.
playinhooky
Posted 3/19/2006 6:26 AM (#41158 - in reply to #41150)

Thanks, I am going to try it today...
Matt.G
Posted 3/20/2006 7:39 PM (#41261 - in reply to #41116)

I am going to try this method this spring too. If the jiggers are catching them in the shallows I don't see why the walleyes won't bite on a crank. Just think of how much water you can cover compared to jiiging.
playinhooky
Posted 3/21/2006 6:02 AM (#41271 - in reply to #41116)

Sorry I didnt reply sooner, but I am out of town... I tried it on sunday for a few hours. Tried different speeds, baits, and depths, with not much for results. Had 2 hits that we lost right away, caught and released a small muskie, and that was it. It sure was nice to fish downtown GB with nobody around though and really enjoyed it. I will give it another shot when I get home.
Jim R.
Posted 3/21/2006 6:36 PM (#41324 - in reply to #41116)

the day bite on sunday was all but spectacular, we managed 1 musky and 1 21" eye sunday between 1pm and 530pm, but from 530-615, i popped 5 eyes, mostly on the small side though. the day bite should get better once the water warms up a bit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)