Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]

Walleye Fishing -> General Discussion -> Tournament Sponsorship

Message Subject: Tournament Sponsorship
Hunter jack
Posted 3/23/2006 6:49 PM (#41426)
Subject: Tournament Sponsorship

I want to enter alot of these tourneys: WWA, Merc for next year, all of the MWA in wisconsin, and others like POPS, Otter, Northshore and others. My question is how do I get a sponsor to help pay to get into some of these tourneys. Do I ask for a shirt/jacket with the company name, decals for the truck and boat. I am not sure, I know I will be at most to all of these tourneys in the future and would be willing to show off the company name. Any recomendations on what I should do? Thanks for your help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
butch
Posted 3/23/2006 6:51 PM (#41427 - in reply to #41426)
Subject: RE: Tournament Sponsorship

It takes alot more than being willing to show off a company name. Also money sponsores are something to be coveted and not easy to come buy.
FISHTRAP
Posted 3/23/2006 7:24 PM (#41429 - in reply to #41426)

Hunter jack it will take quite a bit on your part (time and money).I have seen first hand from running the northshore tournament and dealing with all our sponsors.It can be done if you stay motivated and dont get discouraged.Results help this quite a bit.If you fish the northshore come and talk to me.good luck this year.TODD(FISHTRAP)
Horshak
Posted 3/24/2006 6:07 AM (#41434 - in reply to #41426)

Hunter, I too am currently searching for sponsors. Be prepared to hear NO a lot. Monetary sponsors are hard to come by. Myself just starting out on the tournament thing is proving to be challenging. However, I am proof that if you pound the pavement hard enough and put a good presentation together along with coming up with some good ideas, money sponsors can be obtained. The most important thing to remember is, "What's in it for your sponsors, not what's in it for you. You also have to make good on your promises. Like Fishtrap said, it will take some of your time and money to accomplish this. Good luck!

Edited by Horshak 3/24/2006 7:04 AM
irishwebs
Posted 3/24/2006 5:22 PM (#41447 - in reply to #41434)

Guys Allot of people just walk in and say I am a tournment angler give me money I have fished this event. I sugguest if you wish to get sponsors set up a buisness plan, Resume, News Letter that comes out regular and send them to a person or CEO of company your intrested and show them over time you are worthly of what you ask for. Go and build a respect before you ask for penney one or merchindise or montary funds.
Sunshine
Posted 3/25/2006 5:47 AM (#41456 - in reply to #41426)

IMHO, The first thing that you must realize is that sponsorship is sweat equity. You must work hard for your sponsors. It’s much more than putting their name on a tournament shirt and their decal on your truck. Too many people believe that all you have to do is win a tournament and the sponsors will come. This is a fallacy. The only time that your sponsors benefit from your winnings is when your name is plastered all over magazines, newspapers and the television. And then, they only prosper if you are branded with their product.

You must show potential sponsors how your involvement will increase their sales. This is the bottom line. You are their representative and a salesman 24-7. Over time, you will be branded with their product. (When you think of Al Lindner, what boat do you think of?)

You must be willing to give your time and expertise to all of your sponsors. Many of us work harder in the winter months than we do in summer. One example, I worked 28 days at boat/sport shows this winter. Make sure that you are willing to do this and that you will enjoy it.

All to often fishermen promise potential sponsors TOO much at the beginning of their relationship. Then they wonder why their sponsorship turns sour after a year or two. Make sure that you can deliver what you promise. Stay in contact with everyone throughout the season, not just when you want something. Consider sending out quarterly reports, people like hearing from you and want to know what you’ve been up too.

Don’t over do it. Those with the most sponsors do not necessarily win. Don’t spread yourself too thin. Make sure that you have the time, energy and drive to help each sponsor that you represent. DO NOT bastardize yourself. ONLY ask for sponsorship help with products you are very familiar with and believe in 100%.

There is/has been a natural progression with tournament fishermen and sponsorship. When many people first start out they want to show everyone that they are sponsored. They believe that the full tournament shirt is a status symbol. They’ll be more than happy to pay for the shirt and embroidery just to show people that they “made it”. If they receive a free hat, t-shirt and/or decal they are elated. They get even more excited at level two, when they get a few free spools of line, a couple of baits and the discount. Some local and or regional fishermen never leave this level. They are happy with the discounts they receive on rods, reels, line, baits, boats, motors, electronics etc. These discounts keep their involvement financially manageable. They may even break even or make a buck or two by selling off these products after a year or two of use. I’d guess that most people fall into the above category. They’re happy with the arrangement and so are their sponsors. They do not have to put as much time into the arrangement and the sponsors realize that they are getting what they are paying for.

I believe that the next level involves getting money for your involvement. You can receive checks to help offset tournament fees, you may receive retainers, and/or you are paid for your “off” season work. If you are good, you also receive free product. We’re not talking spools of line any more, we’re talking major ticket items. BUT, as I indicated earlier, this is sweat equity! You will work hard and long for the “free stuff”. Make sure that you are willing and able to live up to your end of the bargain.

If you are fortunate and have a friend, relative and/or an associate in business, you may be able to skip a step or two. If they like you, if they believe in you, they may do things like pay for entry fees. Be thankful and be astute of ways that you can return the favor. Otherwise, this seed money or start up help will be just that, a thing of the past.

One last thought. You can receive sponsorship by doing other things besides fishing tournaments. Common examples include being a guide, a writer or a presenter. Or you may be all of the above.

Enjoy the adventure and the relationship.

Edited by Sunshine 3/25/2006 6:20 AM
Juls_OH
Posted 3/25/2006 6:00 AM (#41457 - in reply to #41426)

Excellent post Mr. Skurulsky! Well said...;)

Juls
Dale
Posted 3/26/2006 7:06 AM (#41486 - in reply to #41426)

Great post there Sunshine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)