Walleye Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]

Regional Walleye Fishing -> Winnebago Walleyes -> Crawlering...... reports

Message Subject: Crawlering...... reports
BeFishin
Posted 5/15/2006 8:08 AM (#43769 - in reply to #43490)
Subject: RE: Crawlering...... reports

All I can say is Mother's Day morning is going to go down as the Mother's Day Massacre. If I wouldn't have stopped picking after an hour I wouldn't have been able to keep them in the bucket. My fingers were going numb!

I was a hog, a slob! I must have over 500 now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jerry
Posted 5/15/2006 8:14 AM (#43771 - in reply to #43490)

If any of you guys who were doing the crawler pciking would like to sell a flat in bedding I'd be very interested. I just got two flats from my usual source, and they left a bit to be desired. Email me at [email protected] of you're interested.
guesr
Posted 5/15/2006 8:35 AM (#43773 - in reply to #43490)

Would you guys share on what you do to keep the crawlers alive for the season . Thanks this is a great thread.
BeFishin
Posted 5/15/2006 1:34 PM (#43794 - in reply to #43773)

I have an extra frig in the basement for beverages and bait.

My favorite choice for bedding is Fat & Sassy.

I have a large Styrofoam container from a package I received. I use it without a cover.

Edited by BeFishin 5/15/2006 1:35 PM
Jerry1
Posted 5/17/2006 11:56 AM (#43876 - in reply to #43769)

What is the ideal temperature to set frig for crawlers? I set at between 38 to 48 F. Don't want to get to close to freezing or they will die.

Jerry
budsbud66
Posted 5/17/2006 12:05 PM (#43879 - in reply to #43490)

i run small coleman lunch box with busse bedding. i dont know fridge temp. they will stay alive the whole season. no tricks involved. keep em cool, dont throw halves in your box.
budsbud66
Posted 7/1/2006 10:59 PM (#45426 - in reply to #43490)
Subject: Re: Crawlering...... reports

Went out after the big storms tonight, my god. i dont know the equation but my digital scale read 2.8 lbs of crawlers tonight.
fairways were hot! i definately have too many.
AXL
Posted 9/11/2006 11:50 PM (#47464 - in reply to #43490)

With all the great rain we have had the last 24 hours, I figured it was time for the annual night crawler fall run to begin. Have been out for several hours tonight along the north shore and yet to find any! Anyone got some hot spots or tips on where they go this time of year? Any help on this matter is appreciated!

P.S. I did happen to find a penny and a nickel in my hunt tonight, so it was worth it.
Posted 9/12/2006 8:17 AM (#47467 - in reply to #43490)

The other night, I jumped out of bed to answer a knock on the door, turns out it was a bunch of crawlers asking me to turn the garden hose again, seems they don't like the desert conditions in my yard this year. They were threatening to post all my hotspots on Walleyefirst so I gave into their demands.

I have given up on Crawlering for the year; my hotspots are dead with this strong east wind blowing the rain completely past my yard all month into my neighbors yard. He's a tournament crawlerer and is tight lipped about all his "techniques". I did manage to tailpipe him earlier this spring with a handheld GMS unit so I got all his "hot spots".

I sure this east wind stops blowing, otherwise... it's going to be a long fall.

Signed

Lawn Crawler
Jayman
Posted 9/12/2006 9:28 AM (#47469 - in reply to #47467)
Subject: Re: Crawlering...... reports

HAHAHAH Lawn Crawler, now that's some good stuff.
Axl
Posted 4/1/2007 3:42 PM (#53438 - in reply to #43490)

The run has begun!!!! Pulled a nice limit of crawlers on the east side of my street today, fat ones to say the least!!!
Purple Skeeter
Posted 4/1/2007 7:27 PM (#53446 - in reply to #53438)

Axle,

You beat me to it... I thought you and I were going to keep our crawlering secrets to ourselves this year, but since you let the crawler out of the bag, here's my Saturday night report...

I setup late on Saturday night on the east end of my lawn in 1 & 1/2 inches of grass, had to use 2 anchors on the lawn chair because the strong east wind threatened to blow me off the burm. I got a few smaller crawlers with a AAA l.e.d. single bulb flashlight before midnight, but the craw was very light. About 12:30 the rain picked up and so did my bite, for the next 3 hours... lost a huge one right at the cover, I have got to talk to my sponsor about reinforceing the covers.... (pick attached)

(it was more like 10 minutes because I was thinking to myself... my neighbors are going to call in an intruder)

I could not keep a hand in my pocket. For a first time out this year, I was hitting them one handed and doubles were filling my cool whip container pretty darn fast. As the rain picked up, I switched over to my new 100-watt l.e.d. Handheld lantern... just got it on sale at Kitz & Pfile Hardware in Menasha for 50% off... last 70 hours on 4 aaa batteries... amazing...sorry for the cheep sponsorship plug.

You could easily tell that these were some of the first crawlers to see the light of a flashlight because they did not even flinch when I shined the ole' 100 watt light directly into their eyes. It was like catching Walleyes on my friends’ favorite waypoints that I recorded on my handheld when they weren't looking.

I'm still a little dismayed that all my neighbors have declared that their lawns are "refuge only until May 2nd" and I can only take home 1 crawler over 12 inches, it won't be long now and it will be wall to wall with guys lined up on the refuge, cool whip container in one hand all leaning over the line trying to get that exclusive 12incher... Oh how I long for the old days when I was the only one who crawlered my neighborhood.

I"m pretty excited with all my sponsors this year, I attached a pick of my new rig.

PS

sponsors:

www.coolwhipcontainers.com
www.kitz&pfile.com
www.nationalcrawleringassociation.com
www.letemgrow.com
www.miraclegrowwormbeading.com

Edited by Purple Skeeter 4/1/2007 7:48 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(323.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(northpolecoolwhip.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 323.jpg (11KB - 296 downloads)
Attachments northpolecoolwhip.JPG (129KB - 295 downloads)
tyee
Posted 4/1/2007 8:17 PM (#53450 - in reply to #53446)

I'm a meat hunter! I hope I'm not over my limit. Wanna know how many fit in a 1 gallon ice cream pail?............... 506........... Whats the possession limit for north central WI. I'm on my way out for more, I think I'll do a bit of culling this time, my bait well is full!
Good Luck
Tyee
NCA
Posted 4/1/2007 8:29 PM (#53453 - in reply to #43490)

(National Crawler association)

We held our annual meeting this past weekend and I wanted you all to be aware of some new laws that have been put in place.

Section I, part B, paragraph GG declares= No crawler hunter may possess over 500 crawlers in a single container. This is to try and avoid the recent outbreak of CWD (Crawler Wasting disease).

Section IV, part F, paragraph RR declares= If a crawler is wounded or injured while trying to capture the crawler, you must count this toward your daily bag limit.

Section VII, part D, paragraph XX declares= If a crawler you catch is albino, you must turn this into the NCA for research purposes.

Section XIII part Q, paragraph LL declares= No crawler hunter is allowed to use an electronic device that gives off more then 10 million candle power in the attempt to hunt crawlers.

Section XIII part R, paragraph ZZ declares- no crawler hunter may use more then 2 pounds of bait to try and attract a crawler. This is once again in regards to CWD (Crawler Wasting Disease)

We will continue to keep you updated as the laws become final. feel free to respond to these rules on this thread, and I will make an attempt to answer you as quickly as we can.

NCA-President,

Leaf Blower
Ps
Posted 4/1/2007 9:23 PM (#53456 - in reply to #43490)

First off, I don’t crawl the MCC Crawler circuit… but I must get this off my chest.

Just like the typical association... holding their meetings on an off day so no one can attend and then the board of directors come up with more ridicules laws only aimed at keeping the "crawler man down".

The association does not stand for anything, remember last week when they sent us out in the tornado, shortened our tournament to one day and had us all leave the garage at the same time.... people almost got killed Crawlering in those conditions… we all dodged trees, tires, refrigerators and other assorted debris on the lawn trying to win the biggest first-place purse in Masters Crawler Circuit history.

Howga Pickem and Axle (aka “the lawn king”) edged out Jayman (aka “half crawler”) and Ranger Pat (aka “you talking to me”) by 1/100th of an inch, measuring a single 10.6-inch crawler for the win. $60,630, the largest single payout in the history of the well-established circuit.

Besides, everybody knows that all the association cares for is money, they don't care about us crawlerers. I’ve talked to a lot of they guys that Crawl the MCC and they have said that they are fed up with the circuit and will never set foot on another lawn tournament sponsored by the MCC. Can’t say I blame them.

Please call 1-800-crawler to report poaching. It's up to us to maintain the integrity of our sport...

P.S
sworrall
Posted 4/1/2007 9:29 PM (#53457 - in reply to #53456)

PS, you really need a Skeeter Board to entertain and engage your great sense of humor! Expect to see one tomorrow!
MCC Director
Posted 4/2/2007 5:43 AM (#53467 - in reply to #43490)

Some of you crawler hunters have taken to posting on the internet that "you will never crawl another MCC tournament" or "I know there are a lot of people who will NEVER support crawler picking again." I understand emotions can run high, but statements like that simply inflame the situation. And in the process damage is done to the reputation of all crawler picking by a vocal few; and that hurts all the worm pickers of the MCC. If you can't say online what you would say directly to me -- then don't say it. We are all bent over with flashlight in hand together! A decision was made and we picked during bad conditions, get over it. And if you do want to talk to me – my lawn is always available --. I will personally discuss this with any of you. So give me a shout-- or call your NCA reps -- rather than make comments online. We do have a clause in our rules that states:

Crawler pickers will conduct themselves in a true sportsmanlike, courteous, safe and ethical manner at all times. Any unfavorable conduct or action by a contestant, which could negatively reflect on the Crawler picking circuit, will be grounds for disqualification or rejection of future lawn hunts.

Keep that in mind. You sign on to crawler hunt with us and you agree to give up all of your freedom of speech rights....and we expect nothing less. Never discuss our circuit in groups larger than 3, make sure that you wear the circuit clothing while discussing our organization and report ALL unhappy crawlers to us immediately. They will be dealt with in the spirit of the creed in crawler picking.

We are watching you
tyee
Posted 4/2/2007 6:45 AM (#53469 - in reply to #53467)

I don't know what all the complaining is about, I too went out in my 100+mph rain gear and my 2000 gram insulated waterproof footwear, with my zenon,1 million candle power headlamp and never was I concerned about my safety, although I did have to hike it more than a 1/4mile. I was in shape and ready for the hunt, I avoided all those trees concrete slabs and shrubs that were scattered over the typical community spots ie parks and cemetaries. I found my catch in the football field far away from obstacles, I had plenty of space to roam and avoided those poles at either end. I guess I just got LUCKY this time and they were there! I make my own decissions, I am a big boy, and I don't throw sand in the sandbox either! I'll gladly share my GPS Coords with anyone. Life is too short not to enjoy!
Good Luck
Tyee

Edited by tyee 4/2/2007 6:48 AM
jerry
Posted 4/2/2007 9:41 AM (#53484 - in reply to #53469)

You guys need help!!!
Deep Throat
Posted 4/2/2007 10:00 AM (#53488 - in reply to #43490)

Jerry,

You just don't get it and will never understand. Crawlering is a way of life. A commitment, you must be dedicated and believe in yourself and your abilities. Yea, I know what you are thinking. Call us weekend warriors or yard yuppies, we've been called those things before ...............

But when that gun is sounded and they allow us to take off for the field, it's an adrenaline rush that just can not be explained.

And it’s not just the numbers. Having that dream of some day ………….. some day…………… handling that big worm ………… letting the slime run through my fingers ……………….. looking for thickness and length ………….. well, how can that not excite any real man.
Shep
Posted 4/2/2007 11:15 AM (#53495 - in reply to #53488)

Pretty sure that is not slime running through your fingers! hehehe

I'll do my share of crawlering, but I am a fair weather crawlerer. I don't like the cold night air lately. And my lawn is only two years old, so it's still a fledgling crawlery. Is there anything I can apply to the lawn to expedite the growth on the crawlers I stocked? Will stocked crawlers reproduce, or is this now strickly a put and take crawlery? Help. Please.
Deep Throat
Posted 4/2/2007 11:41 AM (#53501 - in reply to #43490)

Shep,

It takes years and years to develop a truley great crawlerie. Please do not jeoperdize the cralerie of the future for generations to come. You may own the land but you do not own the resource. It's there for all to enjoy.

You could take the juvenile crawlers now but leave the brood stock. I'd suggest the 4-6inchers to start. But why not catch, photo and release. That way the resource is there forever. For further information, I'd suggest reading my book: "The dream of a twelve Incher" by Dr. Deep Throat. Paperback versions will be available soon. Also watch for a future article in In-Crawlerman with a sequal coming out soon in Crawler Insider. They promise a center fold picture that I'm sure you will want to frame and hang.

For now, if you are looking for trophies, contact that Tyee guy. He has the inside scoop on some virgin massive fields around New London.
jerry
Posted 4/2/2007 11:48 AM (#53502 - in reply to #53501)

OMG.....Why did I bother to comment???? Thanks for setting me straight Deep Throat.
sworrall
Posted 4/2/2007 12:00 PM (#53506 - in reply to #53502)

Hoo boy, here we go. CPRing Crawlers. Next it will be the WCRT (Wisconsin Crawler Restoration Team) beating the devil out of our DNR over Crawler genetics, and the fact Canadian Crawlers are so obviously superior. Stock CCs NOW!
WalleyeFIRST
Posted 4/2/2007 12:01 PM (#53507 - in reply to #53502)

I came across what I believe to be a new species of crawler the other day I actually took a picture of it. I caught my attention as it stood up and hissed much like a cobra as I walked past it.

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)